MY GARMIN 765 WAS A LIFE SAVER LAST WEEKEND

Hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, mountain biking and more with GPS. Chat about it here!

MY GARMIN 765 WAS A LIFE SAVER LAST WEEKEND

Postby GerryAttrick » 03-02-2010 15:44

Well maybe not a life saver but certainly a licence saver.

I headed off to Coromandel in my BMW with its own GPS but took the Garmin to get a bit more experience with it - its used in my wifes car mainly.

Had barely left Auckland when a sensor went on the car and took out the ABS, Stability Control, Computer and speedo (and as a by product the On Board Computer lost functionality). :(

What to do? #-o I did not fancy driving to Coromandel with no speedo but could cope with the rest...there were too many cops around just waiting for someone to exceed the speed limit!

Bingo..hooked up the Garmin and switched it to speed display and propped it up in front of the instrument display as I had left the mount at home. It was beautifully clear - better than the BMW speedo itself and amazingly accurate on the odd ocassion the speedo decided to wake up and work.

I am very pleased with this unit and top marks to Tony for suggesting it as a possible for consideration. I would almost certainly have got at least one ticket if I had not had the unit so I figure it has started to pay for itself already.

One thing though...the lady inside really must learn to pronounce Maori names (it does have the OpenSource maps). She stumbled a bit with Ngati Moana and the best she could get was "Gatty Moan"...but we got the idea. =D>
GerryAttrick

Return to Traditional Outdoors