Is Garmin going head-to-head with Groundspeak?

A forum to discuss geocaching-specific issues in New Zealand. For more information check out www.geocaching.com. It's pronounced however you want ;)

Is Garmin going head-to-head with Groundspeak?

Postby rediguana » 09-11-2010 14:11

There are some interesting rumours swirling around the net currently. It appears that Garmin may be setting up a caching site in competition with Groundspeak. Apparently the site may be opencaching.com (which is not working at the time of posting, but has been earlier). There is nothing there currently other than an index page, but there is a couple of blog reports (in German - 1,2) of someone that has been able to have a quick play at some point on the opencaching.com site.

Here are some Google Chrome translations of the two blog posts.

GEOCACHING BAYERN
opencaching.com - Garmin now has its own platform?
FROM OMABANDE, ON NOVEMBER 9TH, 2010
That the release of chirp caused a stir at Groundspeak we know. But will come up with its own cache, the Garmin platform will have guessed no one.

As of today, it echoes through the forums, Twitter and other Web 2.0 media:

http://www.opencaching.com is here!!

I have it thanks to daytime sleep in night shift work noticed the first time and lo and behold, the site is down right now But according to Whois, the domain registered since September 2009 from Garmin.:

Domain Name: OPENCACHING.COM
Registrar: MARK MONITOR INC.
Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
Name Server: NS.GARMIN.COM
Name Server: NS2.GARMIN.COM
Updated Date: 13-sep-2010
Creation Date: 14-sep-2003
Expiration Date: 14-sep-2012

I'm curious if the whole thing is real or just a hoax after all. Currently (00:11 clock on 09/11/2010), the page looks like this:

and

http://www.opencaching.com/
7:
First of all Conclusion:
Looks nice, is not ready yet. Too bad.
'm Curious to see how it goes.
Can I upload my myfinds where pq? Would in fact go to upload their own discoveries. I would rather not, for now.
6. Caches sort works:
One can also the difficulties in 0.1 increments filter.
Sort by: Most difficult
Distance - map center
Name - Ascending
Name - Descending
The most difficult
The simplest
Difficult terrain
Easy terrain
Greatest
The smallest
At the greatest
Less grand
Geiel. Then almost 3 doses are in any nice places, or only two? :-) #
4. 22:36 Clock
"Garmin will under take commercially reasonable efforts to publish, under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License, geocaching data submitted by you to the site
"
http://www.opencaching.com/ # terms
3. 22:32 Clock
My cache (Uploaded with a GPX file of a cache of my GC) appear to be further edited by me ... # edit-geocache/OCMH2C/step1 - the site but not on the Internet Exploder, and Firefox displays correctly.
2. 22:26 Clock
I can sign in with my Garmin account and upload to the fast one of my geocaches GC.com via GPX can.
This is followed by a note: "
Before we can publish the geocaches you have uploaded, we want you to review the information. Click on a cache, verify the information, add tags, and submit your geocaches to be found by other cachers.
"
However, the whole system does not seem to work here, I'm not getting unlocked my cache. The upload seems to have worked.
Password change was directly over Garmin.

So, not much more to report at this point, but this could it could point to an interesting time for caching in general - if Garmin is indeed going to go head-to-head with Groundspeak. Very interesting that Garmin may appear to license under CreativeCommons which seems much more appropriate. Anyway, bound to stir up some discussion!!

Some of you may have noticed that Garmin has recently changed the icons used for the geocaching icon on the Oregons/Dakotas (e.g. no longer Groundseak geocaching logo, now a generic treasure cheat). At the same time, it appears that other GPS vendors are getting better coverage on gc.com e.g. Magellan sponsoring CITO 2010, and the featured GPS units are all Delorme, Lowrance and Magellan on the gc.com GPS Reviews.

It seems as though there has been a significant falling out between Garmin and Groundspeak - and of course at this point we don't really know who is to blame. :?
rediguana
Society Member 2013

GPS: Garmin Montana 650

Re: Is Garmin going head-to-head with Groundspeak?

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 09-11-2010 15:03

Opencaching.com is just a name: it will be interesting to see if they are actually now in affiliation with opencaching.* and will subscribe to Open Source or just bought the domain name when it came up as available and want to cash[e] in on the wave.
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated. Meanwhile, still battling for the Caversham Tunnel
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 550

Postby rediguana » 09-11-2010 16:06

GSVNoFixedAbode wrote:it will be interesting to see if they... will subscribe to Open Source...

The reference to CreativeCommons Attribution 3.0 certainly suggests an open source approach (CreativeCommons being a recognised open source data license).

I still think there has been some bad blood brewing between Garmin and Groundspeak.

Take a look at the Geocaching.com GPS Review page, note these figures that appear to be sorted by number of reviews...

Magellan
* eXplorist 500 (948 reviews)
* Triton 400 (759 reviews)
* eXplorist 210 (717 reviews)

DeLorme
* Earthmate PN-40 (1069 reviews)
* Earthamte PN-20 (539 reviews)
* Earthmate PN-30 (136 reviews)

Lowrance
* Endura Out&Back (134 reviews)
* iFinder H2O C (115 reviews)
* iFinder H2O (101 reviews)

Note that Garmin is not listed. Now, we can find Garmins list here.

Garmin
* GPSMAP 60CSx (8522 reviews)
* eTrex H (4327 reviews)
* eTrex Vista HCx 4082 reviews)

Even when you add all of the featured units up, you only reach 4518 reviews across the top 3 units from three different vendors, and Garmin has one GPS that has nearly double all the featured units from competitors combined. Two of Garmin's top three also have higher user ratings than the other featured units. So, clearly geocaching.com isn't presenting the featured units/vendors by user popularity - otherwise Garmin would be there. I'm guessing they are charging to presented there.

This is of course a small thing, a few of these little things could easily point to a failing relationship between Garmin and Groundspeak.
rediguana
Society Member 2013

Postby Mr Tomato » 10-11-2010 06:43

rediguana wrote:I still think there has been some bad blood brewing between Garmin and Groundspeak.

rediguana wrote:This is of course a small thing, a few of these little things could easily point to a failing relationship between Garmin and Groundspeak.

Also, recent versions of the Oregon firmware have had Groundspeak's Geocaching images / icons removed and replaced with generic equivalents.

Edit: Just noticed that you've already mentioned this!
Lycopersicon lycopersicum
Mr Tomato

GPS: Garmin Oregon 300

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 10-11-2010 08:56

rediguana wrote:Take a look at the Geocaching.com GPS Review page, note these figures that appear to be sorted by number of reviews...

Currently showing:
Garmin

GPSMAP 60CSx by Garmin

* GPSMAP 60CSx
(8524 reviews)
* eTrex H
(4331 reviews)
* eTrex Vista HCx
(4085 reviews)

Apple

iPhone 3G S by Apple

* iPhone 3G S
(4378 reviews)
* iPhone 3G
(4228 reviews)
* iPhone
(2593 reviews)

Magellan

eXplorist 500 by Magellan

* eXplorist 500
(948 reviews)
* Triton 400
(760 reviews)
* eXplorist 210
(717 reviews)

Today's code release may have fixed a bug?
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated. Meanwhile, still battling for the Caversham Tunnel
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 550

Postby rediguana » 10-11-2010 09:19

Ohhh interesting. Note that subtle title change though - previously it was Featured, now it is Most Popular. Sounds like more than just a bug fix - the Featured section had a completely different purpose... ;)
rediguana
Society Member 2013

Postby Graeme.N » 10-11-2010 09:46

FYI, FWIW, the cookie set by going to www.opencaching.com is named "BIGipServeropencache.garmin.com.80.pool".
I'd rather be geocaching!
Graeme.N
Society Member 2013

GPS: 2x Android devices

Postby rediguana » 10-11-2010 10:25

Ohhhh there is a trademarked logo up there now too. A broken circle so you can make O (for open I guess) and C (for caching) with an X in the middle.
rediguana
Society Member 2013

Postby Team TWS » 10-11-2010 10:51

Early retirement after winning Powerball ...
Team TWS

GPS: MONTANA 650

Postby zork v » 10-11-2010 15:30

I looked up OPENCACHING.us Geocaching in the United States . Some interesting features such as Moving, Webcams, Virtuals and MP3 Podcast caches. :D :D
On the eighth day, God created Geocaching.
zork v

GPS: MONTANA

Postby radionut50 » 10-11-2010 18:55

I wonder if we should all be making backups of all the information in our listed caches in case this turns into a real battle and groundspeak throw their toys out of the cot....
radionut50
Society Member 2013

GPS: Montana650/Oregon550

Postby Team TWS » 10-11-2010 20:02

radionut50 wrote:I wonder if we should all be making backups of all the information in our listed caches in case this turns into a real battle and groundspeak throw their toys out of the cot....

What planet are you on? Surely you are taking the piss?
Early retirement after winning Powerball ...
Team TWS

GPS: MONTANA 650

Postby ADV » 10-11-2010 20:16

rediguana wrote:Ohhhh there is a trademarked logo up there now too. A broken circle so you can make O (for open I guess) and C (for caching) with an X in the middle.

Yes, I can see the resemblance, the illuminati is definitely behind it all. :wink:

WELL! you started it 8)
ADV
Society Member 2013

Postby KiwiHarvs » 10-11-2010 21:47

New site also allows commercial caches. This one has an "access fee required" icon:
http://www.opencaching.us/viewcache.php?cacheid=314
(You have to pay to visit Arlington National Cemetery in Washington DC?)
KiwiHarvs

Postby rediguana » 10-11-2010 22:44

'Fee required' can be different from a commercial cache. E.g. Entry into a paid state or national park may require a fee, but it is not commercial in nature. Same for a nonprofit. There are loads of fee required virtuals and earth caches in the US.

I'm also not yet convinced that opencaching.com can be assumed to be the same as opencaching.country sites. Even though some of the opencaching sites have been running since 2006 or so.

We're just going to have to sit back and see how this plays out...
rediguana
Society Member 2013

Next

Return to Geocaching