NZ provincial map to add to profile?

Discussion of issues, tips and tricks with GSAK - the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife

Re: NZ provincial map to add to profile?

Postby Kiwi Moose » 23-03-2009 10:44

I see the same error here. Are you running the 3.5beta version of FindStatGen? If so, I'm out of ideas....
Kiwi Moose
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 550t

Postby radionut50 » 23-03-2009 20:35

aaaaaahhhhhhh.... that's it! I did not download the correct version.... Thanks
radionut50
Society Member 2013

GPS: Montana650/Oregon550

Postby Kiwi Nomad » 06-04-2009 19:00

Annie & PB wrote:
rediguana wrote:[
I suppose some of you would like instructions now? :)

1. Upgrade to the latest version of GSAK - you need to be running 7.5.1 which has support for NZ States (Islands) and Counties (Regions) - (link)
2. Install the FindStatGen35Beta - (link)
3. Download the New Zealand maps from this page and save the files in the gsak/Macros directory.
4. Run the FindStatGen35Beta macro
5. When it opens, click on Options
6. Clicks Maps
7. Select the maps you want: New Zealand is the island map, New Zealand Regions is the region map
8. Run the macro

Hi there!

Bizzarely enough timing wise, here I am at the public library, scabbing off their broadband connection, to download the latest version of GSAK and so forth. And I check in here to see where this map thing is up to, and you've written instructions!! Hooray.

So - as usual - here I am also proving that I know nothing, as I am stuck at step three - I get a page of code stuff. And I have no idea what to do with it!! Sorry :( :?

Annie

Yep that's where I got stuck too!
I was really surprised that I got past step 2 and I thought I had saved the maps to the correct place....
but when I go to run the macro and select the map, there are no maps to select!?!

Help please. [-o<
Kiwi Nomad
Society Member 2013

Postby Annie & PB » 06-04-2009 19:11

Kiwi Nomad wrote:Yep that's where I got stuck too!
I was really surprised that I got past step 2 and I thought I had saved the maps to the correct place....
but when I go to run the macro and select the map, there are no maps to select!?!

Help please. [-o<

Hi KN

:( If I could remember what I did, I'd tell ya!!!! :oops: I just know that somehow I bumbled my way through that bit and in the end it worked. Hopefully someone helpful will be along soon!

But you have my sympathies.

Annie
http://annienz.wordpress.com/

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. Marcel Proust
Annie & PB
Society Member 2012

GPS: Garmin Legend HCx

Postby Kiwi_Explorer » 06-04-2009 20:54

Hi KN,

Could you please clarify what you have or haven't done at step 3. Have you downloaded the maps files from the link? The files should be called something like "FindStatGenMapNewZealandRegions.dat" and "FindStatGenMapNewZealandIslands.dat" or the word islands may be missing. You then need to to copy both the downloaded DAT files into the GSAK macro folder on your pc - for me this is c:\program files\gsak\macros

Let me know if you have done these two things and I will see if I can help any further. Cheers, KE.
Kiwi_Explorer

Postby Kiwi Nomad » 06-04-2009 21:03

When I look on my computer it shows that they have been saved in C:\gsak\Macros.
Kiwi Nomad
Society Member 2013

Postby Kiwi_Explorer » 06-04-2009 21:20

I would have thought that that would be fine if you also have your FindStat macro in the same folder. Is there a file in that same folder called "FindStatGen35Beta.gsk"?
Kiwi_Explorer

Postby Kiwi Nomad » 06-04-2009 21:27

Yes it is in the same folder.
The findstat file is 582kb, the two 'maps' are 3kb each.
Does that sound right or have I stuffed up the downloading of the maps.
Kiwi Nomad
Society Member 2013

Postby Kiwi_Explorer » 06-04-2009 23:39

Sorry for the delay in answering, had to pop out for an FTF!

Those file sizes sound fine - you have me stumped. I am wondering if the macro might be looking for the files in a specific folder under c:\program files I have seen another macro that expects the files to be in a specific place - other than that it's now beyond me. Hopefully someone else will see what's wrong.
Kiwi_Explorer

Postby rediguana » 06-04-2009 23:59

All three files can happily live in the same folder (usually c:\gsak\macros).

You are running FSG3.5beta and not FSG3.4? You need to be running the 3.5beta.

When downloading from the forum post with the attachment, click on FindStatGenMapNewZealandRegions.dat and save the file. If the text opens automatically in your browser, then you need to go File>Save and save the dat file to gsak\macros.

Also, if you have loaded the maps whilst the macro is running, you need to exit the macro and restart the macro to identify the new map files.

And for performing the first County calculation (if it hasn't done this already) see this link
viewtopic.php?p=35467#p35467
rediguana
Society Member 2013

GPS: Garmin Montana 650

Postby Kiwi Nomad » 07-04-2009 00:04

Kiwi_Explorer wrote:Sorry for the delay in answering, had to pop out for an FTF!

Those file sizes sound fine - you have me stumped. I am wondering if the macro might be looking for the files in a specific folder under c:\program files I have seen another macro that expects the files to be in a specific place - other than that it's now beyond me. Hopefully someone else will see what's wrong.

Well I do hope you were successful, I have in the mean time loaded all the caches I own and have started to work through all the information over in their help section. I went PM so I could show of my stats! (oh and download info for caches each time I travel up to Chch), and at this stage have nothing to show for it.
Yeah yeah have patience, just not something I am very good at.
Kiwi Nomad
Society Member 2013

Postby Kiwi Nomad » 07-04-2009 15:26

Yipee!!!! All done and working, even found the macro to show my stats on my profile and somehow managed to create one to populate the country field and then the map got all coloured in.
=D> =D> =D>
Kiwi Nomad
Society Member 2013

Postby Kiwi_Explorer » 07-04-2009 19:30

Well done! =D> You obviously just had to persevere with it. We can all check out your stats now.

Oh and yes I was successful, thanks for asking. No. 59 I think but I will have to check my stats to be sure! :D
Kiwi_Explorer

Postby Kiwi Moose » 07-04-2009 20:16

Nicely done, did you by chance remember how you fixed the bit you were stuck on so we can improve those instructions?
Kiwi Moose
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 550t

Postby Annie & PB » 07-04-2009 21:16

Kiwi Nomad wrote:Yipee!!!! All done and working, even found the macro to show my stats on my profile and somehow managed to create one to populate the country field and then the map got all coloured in.
=D> =D> =D>

Well done! Looks good - good number of NI provinces you have cached in too.

Annie
http://annienz.wordpress.com/

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes. Marcel Proust
Annie & PB
Society Member 2012

GPS: Garmin Legend HCx

PreviousNext

Return to GSAK