Put up or shut up (shop)

Having trouble with the gps.org.nz website or forums? Want to ask someone about the Society and what it is? Try asking here.

Society Future

Wind up and donate funds (donation suggestions in comments please)
No votes
Elect a fresh Committee and forge ahead
67%
Last hurrah project using the funds then wind up (again suggestions below please)
33%

Total votes : 6

Put up or shut up (shop)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 09-05-2017 23:01

Ok folks, time for a decision: is the NZ GPS Society a (mostly) dead horse that needs to be sent to the glue factory, or is there still life a-twitchin' in the body?

Do we wind up the Society formally or do we vote in a fresh committee and get this place and Soc. humming again?

If the decision is to wind up, then there is the small matter of approximately $13,000 ( :shock: ) in the bank account that needs to be donated to another charitable organisation with similar goals and interests to ours. Alternatively, we could have a last gasp of the Society and use the funds on a worthwhile project, THEN wind everything up.
Cheers,
Gerard
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated. Meanwhile, still battling for the Caversham Tunnel
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 550

Re: Put up or shut up (shop)

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 09-05-2017 23:11

As a refresher, here's the last posted election results:
President
Sonia Polak - sonia26642,
South Island VP
Lynette Shepherd
Secretary / Treasurer (combined)
Maria Polak – Hinemoana,
General Committee (4 positions available)
Gerard Hyland – GSVNoFixedAbode,
Richard Nyhof – Nofs,
Gavin Treadgold – Rediguana,
Peter Walker - Cumbyrocks, as Immediate Past President

And from the 2013 tread, my own thoughts:
Personal opinion: Yep, I'd like to see the Society continue:
- provide a set of handheld GPS units as a loan kit to non-profit groups (maybe not so relevant today with smartphones)
- continue to liaise with official bodies (govt, councils, etc) regarding geocaching, and perhaps Ingress, as and when required. We've done it before and I think it's good to have the resources there in case they're needed.
- support a yearly Mega within New Zealand: perhaps seed money for 1 event. How and how much is a topic for another thread in itself
- Support a New Zealand version of Terrafab. Ok, so that's just my personal drooling of techno-bling :lol:

It would be good to have more integration between the Forums and social media (FB/G+/etc). Social media is great for immediacy but lousy as a knowledge repository!
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated. Meanwhile, still battling for the Caversham Tunnel
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

Postby Ruru_nz » 09-05-2017 23:28

I recall asking about subs payments a few years ago, and not getting an answer so assumed the horse was dead.
When operating (before Facebook and other ways of keeping in touch) it was well worth being a member, and a big thanks to those who started the society and kept it going, really appreciated being able to borrow GPS units for a girl guide Jamboree in 2012.
My 2c worth
Either go out with a worthwhile project
Or use the find to supply GPS units to groups like guiding and scouts who have Geocaching in their programmes
Or a combination of the two.
Ruru_nz
Society Member 2013

GPS: SmartPhone - Xperia

Postby psychrn143 » 10-05-2017 00:51

Id go with the majority vote.
"What your not a Geocacher"
psychrn143
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 450 Lumia1020

Postby bladesedge » 10-05-2017 07:41

I think what killed this was the increasing usage of phones as GPS devices. People no longer need a separate device and don't go out and buy them any more. In the past I would have said to buy a set of GPS Devices that could be hired out with the money. But times have changed and all those kids have a GPS device in their hand.

What about a fund for the supply of hireable (at no charge) personal locator beacons. Save some lives with the money :)
bladesedge
Society Member 2012

GPS: Garmin GPSMap 62s
quote: I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.

Postby djcaches » 10-05-2017 08:48

Hmmm, I would hate to see the GPS org completely disappear. As mentioned earlier, it is a great repository of knowledge (FB not so much). Having said that does the GPS org have a FB page? I hadn't noticed.... only seen various geocaching pages. But GPS is much more than just geocaching! And not only geocachers use GPS...
Has work on the map database ceased?
+1 that thinks some of the funds could also go to some sort of EPIRB/PLB loan project.
djcaches

GPS: Garmin45, Oregon550

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 10-05-2017 09:02

bladesedge wrote:What about a fund for the supply of hireable (at no charge) personal locator beacons. Save some lives with the money :)

=D>
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

Postby rediguana » 10-05-2017 13:24

Yep, probably needs to be retired. I've been continuing to pay the website expenses, without claiming them back for the past few years, so there is probably $300-500 I should claim for the hosting costs for a few years.

Other than that, I think I'd prefer to see cash supplied to relevant organisations, rather than purchasing 'things'. Let's give the money to an existing Society, and let them provide the 'thing'. E.g. I know that the Nature Photographic Society recently bought a PLB for Society usage. That's the sort of thing that we could have provided a grant to enable it.

The other question, is do we leave the forums up as an historical resource, leave them read-only, but set aside funds to host them? I think the answer is probably yes, but would like some guidance on that as well.
rediguana
Society Member 2013

GPS: Garmin Montana 650

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 10-05-2017 17:12

rediguana wrote:The other question, is do we leave the forums up as an historical resource, leave them read-only, but set aside funds to host them? I think the answer is probably yes, but would like some guidance on that as well.

Sounds a good plan
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 10-05-2017 17:28

rediguana wrote:Other than that, I think I'd prefer to see cash supplied to relevant organisations,

According to our Incorporation docs, it's looser than I thought:
Disposition of Surplus Assets:
In the event of the Society being wound-up the surplus assets after payment of the Society liabilities and the expenses of winding up shall be paid or distributed to such other Society or Clubs as shall be decided upon by the members in special meeting provided that no payment or distribution may be made between persons of the Society.

Heeey, maybe the Tunnels Trust has a shot at some of this after all. :wink:
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

Postby Papa Bear_Left » 10-05-2017 18:32

I've been here before, with Aussie Palm and AtariST clubs. In both cases, we decided to fold up gracefully before fading away entirely.

I'd ask that, whatever is decided for the funds, set aside a sum for 10 years or so of domain name payments, just to keep this archive available. (I'm happy to host it gratis, BTW...)
Papa Bear_Left

GPS: GPS60cx

Postby riser5 » 10-05-2017 20:20

I myself had not realized that the option to be able to host a mega would be able to be funding assisted from the GPS org.
If it held on I would like to take up the option of utilizing this option for the assistance.
riser5

Postby tgsnoopy » 25-05-2017 08:02

It would be good for the forum to continue even if just an archive. Also would be great if items such as PLB's were available, but I don't think they should be entirely free, modest refundable deposit & token fee would be better. Having a start up deposit available for Megas might also be great. How about a scenario where the prior Mega committee becomes trustees so to speak and are available to assist Mega committees etc.
tgsnoopy
Society Member 2013

GPS: Garmin GPS60CSx
quote: Water tastes it's best when refrigerated and flavored with fermented barley and hops.

Postby tgsnoopy » 25-05-2017 08:07

rediguana wrote:I've been continuing to pay the website expenses, without claiming them back for the past few years, so there is probably $300-500 I should claim for the hosting costs for a few years.

Yes Gavin, you should round up those receipts and get reimbursed (at least in my opinion).
tgsnoopy
Society Member 2013

GPS: Garmin GPS60CSx
quote: Water tastes it's best when refrigerated and flavored with fermented barley and hops.

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 26-05-2017 08:28

tgsnoopy wrote:Having a start up deposit available for Megas might also be great. How about a scenario where the prior Mega committee becomes trustees so to speak and are available to assist Mega committees etc.

That was the plan with the Chch Mega a few years ago but it sort of petered out from there: a new Mega cttee starts up but without knowledge of this Society and also no knowledge of the funds. Perhaps there should be a bidding session as one of the last scheduled events of the current Mega?
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

Return to Society Support Forum