eTrex mounting bracket

Oh shiny precious!! Yes, my precious! :)

eTrex mounting bracket

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 04-11-2003 07:32

Has anyone had experience with the Garmin eTrex cycle mounting bracket? Before I pony up $50+ I'd be interested to hear comments on this.

From what I can gather, the eTrex can have a problem with the batteries bouncing off the contacts and powering-off but that should be sorted with a bit of padding. What I don't want to see while heading down a gravel track on the MTB is my li'l blue buddy flying off by itself into a nearby rockface. :cry:

At the moment it lives in a side pocket of the backpack, but that entails a full stop to check it.

Cheers,
G.
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated. Meanwhile, still battling for the Caversham Tunnel
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 550

Postby NordieBoy » 04-11-2003 07:49

Seems to hold the GPSR very solidly.
Pad the batteries out, bend the metal tabs out a bit more and put some vasaline on the contacts and you should be away.

I use mine on the mountain bike, road bike and motorbike.

The vasaline seems to have stopped/reduced vibration problems mainly on the motorbike.
Padding the batteries will stop/reduce the effect of the bigger bumps.

HTH
Fran
:):):)
NordieBoy

Postby BaldEd » 04-11-2003 08:45

Hi GSV, 50 bucks or something similar for my GPS12XL was a bit steep so I made my own out of perspex, bisonboard and velcro. I have used the following very successfully for 2 years.

Image.

It is quickly attached and removed from the bike stem by the large velcro strap. For safety it also pays to also attach the gps wrist strap to handlebars - I had a major 'over the handlebars off' a couple of months back and smashed the bisonboard mount but the gps was still attached to the bike. You can see from the photo the blue dog clip the wrist strap is attached to. Rebuilt.

You will probably need to roll some paper around the batteries to pad them to stop the batteries from moving under vibration and switching the gps off.

*** Edited pictures to a more suitable size ***
BaldEd
Society Member 2013

GPS: Montana, 78s, 76CSx

Postby GSVNoFixedAbode » 04-11-2003 11:08

Cool! Thanks people :)
I am Heisenborg: you will probably be assimilated. Meanwhile, still battling for the Caversham Tunnel
GSVNoFixedAbode
Society Member 2013

GPS: Oregon 550

Postby kiwilegend » 04-11-2003 13:56

Yep, works well.
I have 2. One for my bike and 1 for my Hang Glider. Saves the hassle of remembering to swap the brackets over, which I don't need when I am rigging my glider.
I also made up a metal bracket for the car that the back fits into- which makes a total of 3 places I can just clip it into.
I asked the man who makes pPlugs to look at making a generic clip, so that if you bought 1 mount, you could then buy more clips, and put them in several places ( and make your own mounting arrangement ) but that never seems to have happened. The replacement back for the etrex is the fancy bit. The clip would be a very simple bit of moulding.
The other point to note is that I am now onto the second back. The springy clip broke on the first one. Still clips in under gravity, but not so secure.
I also tend to thread the leash onto something as a backup as well.
kiwilegend
Society Member 2012

GPS: 60CSx,CSLegendNüv760

Postby Hairy Little Dwarf » 05-11-2003 09:16

Originally intended to stick some pics here as well - Anyone care to enlighten me as to how to do it? - Ta.

...In the meantime, use your imagination.

I made a nifty little holder constructed from plastic electrical control panel trunking (Also avail in Black - but we don't have that <sigh>). Total construction time from first cut to completion was 15min with nothing more than a hacksaw, pliers, and pop riveter. I wanted something reasonably elegant and non destructive to the car, whilst being easy to see and allowing the unit to get a good look at the sky. Adept scroungers can probably talk 6" of the stuff out of even the hardest industrial electrician :) Photos show two separate mounts in different cars. The Yellow Peril (ETrex) also fits this one, but why not create a custom mount especially for it. Note the plier-tweaked lugs at the bottom to stop the GPS from bashing your ankles (Pic1). Hose clips or cable ties can also be easily attached to allow mounting to bikes, parachutes, kites, dogs etc....

Have fun :)

HLD

*** Edited to insert photo's ***
Hairy Little Dwarf

Postby BrentC » 05-11-2003 09:37

8) Some cell phone holders are about the same size as an Etrex - might be a good start if you don't want to fold up Perspex etc
BrentC

GPS: 276C, Colorado etc

Postby Hairy Little Dwarf » 05-11-2003 09:58

The new "grain of rice" cellphones are waaaaay smaller than the ETrex, consequently, the holders are all too small nowadays. You'd need to find an old model (Good Luck! I've tried)

HLD
Hairy Little Dwarf

Postby adman » 05-11-2003 15:52

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Originally intended to stick some pics here as well - Anyone care to enlighten me as to how to do it? - Ta.

You will need to find somebody to host your pictures and then add the following to your message:

Code: Select all
[img]http://image_url[/img]

Where http://image_url is the url to your hosted pictures
adman

Return to Hardware